Business Law

Ask a business lLawyer. Get business law questions answered ASAP.

Can I get rid of my private student loan consolidated with…

Customer Question
Can I get rid of...
Can I get rid of my private student loan consolidated with AES ? I heard this can be done by challenging the validation of the debt once the AES sell this debt to a collection agency. I live in Georgia.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Business Law
3/2/2016
Business Lawyer: CalAttorney2, Attorney replied 2 years ago
CalAttorney2
CalAttorney2, Attorney

Dear Customer,

There are very few circumstances in which you can qualify for a discharge of student loans. They happen when you are permanently disabled and unable to obtain work (now, and in the future). The standard is very high and very few loans are discharged this way. If you believe you qualify, contact a local bankruptcy attorney to represent you (the process is done by declaring bankruptcy and then suing the student loan creditor in an "adversary proceeding" (a civil suit in bankruptcy) to have the loans discharged.

You can also contact AES directly and see if you qualify for one of their loan forgiveness or forebearance programs: http://www.aessuccess.org/manage/loan_forgiveness_discharge/

But tactics such as "challenging validity of the debt" are not going to get you very far unless the debt is genuinely invalid (you didn't actually receive the money).

CalAttorney2
CalAttorney2
CalAttorney2, Attorney