Richard - Bizlaw
Richard - Bizlaw, Attorney
Experience:  30 years of corporate, litigation and international law
18695994

My dad passed away, when he passed it was the 20 th of dec

Customer Question

My dad passed away , when he passed it was the 20 th of dec my question why would his pension take back his full deposit from his account if he was still alive until the 20 th ? Should they have left partial pension deposit ?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: My dad was a retired correctional officer , he receives his check every month , but he passed away dec 20 th 2015 that same month he received his deposit but His pension was taken away after they found out he had passed away , my question is , do they have th right to do that ? When he lived half the month
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Business Lawyers generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Business Law
Expert:  Richard - Bizlaw replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I will try to help you. Please remember I just report or interpret the law, so the outcome may not be what you hoped for.

You will need to check your father's pension documents to see how the benefits are paid. Under social security benefits are only paid if the beneficiary survives the entire month. Consequently, if you die during the month in which you receive your benefit the payment must be returned to SS. Many pension plans are integrated with social security and may have the same provision on what happens to payments made during the month of death. You would have to review the plan terms to see if your father's plan operated the same way.

If I have answered all your questions, please positively rate my answer as that is how I receive credit. If you have more questions, please let me know. If the answer was especially helpful you can provide a bonus.