Business Law

Ask a business lLawyer. Get business law questions answered ASAP.

I sent a gh value box with Fedex, and the last record on…

Customer Question
I sent a high...
I sent a high value box with Fedex, and the last record on file is that the package was on the delivery truck for delivery, The delivery person says it was an error and that the package was not on the truck. The package is a high value package but does not have incurance on it. It weighs 90 lbs and had distinctive packing tape to make it stand out. My question is that if I don't have insurance but my package was stolen from the facility, does that not make Fedex liable for having inadequate facility or people working in their facility and thus making them liable. I have been waiting for 8 days now and was told today that i may just have to accept the fact that the box is lost and they will be sending me a check for $100. The goods in that box were worth almost $100k.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Business Law
2/26/2016
Business Lawyer: Asad Rahman, Attorney replied 2 years ago
Asad Rahman
Asad Rahman, Attorney

I am so sorry to hear this. Yes, I think even if you do not have insurance they still have some culpability here. Furthermore, they made false representations saying it was on the truck for delivery. You may need to actually file a lawsuit in order to get any traction here however. You need an attorney experienced in consumer protection. Fedex may also have liability under a Texas law called the Texas Deceptive Trade Practices Act which allows for triple your damages if there is proof of fraud. I am happy to answer any additional questions you have or we can talk via phone for an additional charge.