Business Law

Ask a business lLawyer. Get business law questions answered ASAP.

I live in Florida. I need some guidance in how to set up a…

Customer Question
I live in Florida. I...
I live in Florida. I need some guidance in how to set up a social club. What types of documents and reporting are required? Is the club required to incorporate? The club would run a on a school year membership basis. (August-July or September-August).
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Business Law
2/20/2016
Business Lawyer: Richard - Bizlaw, Attorney replied 2 years ago
Richard - Bizlaw

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I will try to help you. Please remember I just report or interpret the law, so the outcome may not be what you hoped for.

In what types of activity will this club engage? What is the purpose of the club? Will it charge membership fees, running events, raising money or just be for gathering people with common interests to socialize?

The club will provide a professional graduation ceremony and organized social events throughout the year for home educated seniors in the area. An annual membership fee will be charged, and the funds will be used to provide the social events and the graduation ceremony. Types of things paid for include the following: entrance fees, speakers, momentos, copies, videographers, photographers, a/v technicians, security, insurance, food, etc.The group will also raise funds to donate to a charity of the students' choosing.

In light of what you want to do you should consider filing for non profit status. Here is a link that gives good pointers on organizing your club.

http://www.wildapricot.com/articles/how-to-start-a-club

To obtain non profit status in the U.S. you have to file with the IRS. In order to obtain tax exempt status for a social club you must meet standards established by the IRS. Here is a link discussing requirements for social clubs under 501(c)(7).

https://www.irs.gov/Charities-&-Non-Profits/Other-Non-Profits/Social-Clubs

Given what you want to achieve in terms of raising funds for charities you might also consider trying to qualify under 501(c)(3). These include educational and charitable organizations. To qualify you must be organized as a corporation, trust or association. Here is a link that explains this type of organization and the process for qualifying.

https://www.irs.gov/Charities-&-Non-Profits/Application-Process

If I have answered all your questions, please positively rate my answer as that is how I receive credit. If you have more questions, please let me know. If the answer was especially helpful you can provide a bonus.

I sent you an answer five days ago but have had no response. If you have any additional questions please let me know. If I have answered all your questions, please highly rate my answer as that is how I get credit for answering your questions.

Richard - Bizlaw
Richard - Bizlaw
Richard - Bizlaw, Attorney