Business Law

Ask a business lLawyer. Get business law questions answered ASAP.

Can a residential contractor abandon a project because of…

Customer Question
Can a residential contractor abandon...
Can a residential contractor abandon a project because of breach of contract?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Business Law
2/16/2016
Business Lawyer: Richard, Attorney replied 2 years ago
Richard, Attorney

Good afternoon Ed. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you.

Can you explain a bit more fully what the client has done? And, are you owed money for the work done to date? Thanks.

He has filed a complaint to the Office of Consumer Affairs and I have been fined $5,000, $2,000 of which for abandoning the project. Apparently the Office of Consumer Affairs finds it unacceptable to abandon a project for breach of contract

Thanks for following up. What did the client do to cause you to abandon the project? Was there a hearing held by the Office of Consumer Affairs?

The Cardinal breach was when he changed the floor plans to include in addition without previously discussing these plants. The material breach when the workers were locked out causing delays in interfering with work progress. The fundamental breach was a bounced check and a refusal to replace such check. And yes there was a hearing.
Are we still connected?

Thanks for responding. I've just been called to a meeting and want you to be able to receive a timely response rather than having to wait. Given this, I am going to opt out so another expert can timely provide you the information you seek. Please do not respond to this post as it will only slow the process of such an expert picking up your question. Take care.

You charged me and did not answer the question. Please respond
Business Lawyer: Attorney2020, Attorney replied 2 years ago
Attorney2020
Attorney2020, Attorney

Have you considered a lawsuit against the person for breach of contract? Suing would then compensate you for your losses in connection to the breach of contract to offset any fines accessed. It appears that the Office of Consumer Affairs creates its policies and the fine is unfortunate but it seems that you cannot get around such fine.

I hope that helped. Please ask any follow-up questions. Please rate my answer so that I may be credited for my time. I thank you in advance for your cooperation. Thanks.

I hope that helped. Please ask any follow-up questions. Please rate my answer so that I may be credited for my time. I thank you in advance for your cooperation. Thank you.