Business Law

Ask a business lLawyer. Get business law questions answered ASAP.

What is the statute of limitations on an auto loan in

Customer Question
Georgia? The vehicle was...
what is the statute of limitations on an auto loan in Georgia? The vehicle was reposed and auctioned 11/10/2009.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Business Law
2/3/2016
Business Lawyer: Richard, Attorney replied 2 years ago
Richard, Attorney

Good morning. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you.

Pursuant to Ga. Code Ann. § 9-3-20 et. seq., the statute of limitation on a promissory note for an automobile is 6 years.

Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your questions. I have done my best to provide information which fully addresses your question. If you have any follow up questions, please ask! If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service as OK, Good or Excellent (hopefully Good or Excellent). Otherwise, I receive no credit for assisting you today. I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating!

Therefore, if the vehicle was auctioned on 11.10.2009, the statute of limitations has run and you have an absolute defense to any obligation to pay this debt. :)

You are likely being contacted by a collection agency. I would send them a certified, return receipt requested letter explaining why you do not owe this debt and demand they immediately cease and desist all further efforts to contact you and/or anyone else to collect this debt. Inform them that any efforts to do otherwise will constitute a violation of the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act and that you will report each and every violation to the Federal Trade Commission. Each violation carries at least a $1,000 fine. Also let them know that should they file any negative credit report, you will be filing a defamation suit against them for both your actual and punitive damages. In my experience, the fine under the Federal Act and the threat of the defamation should be an end to these collection efforts.

Richard, Attorney