How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask CalAttorney2 Your Own Question
CalAttorney2, Attorney
Category: Business Law
Satisfied Customers: 10244
Experience:  I am a businesses law attorney, with experience advising and representing owners and investors.
Type Your Business Law Question Here...
CalAttorney2 is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

What can you do if your name was printed in the news paper

Customer Question

What can you do if your name was printed in the news paper about a drug bust and you were not part the the drug bust. The reason you were failure to appear on a traffic offence. The way the article reads is you are part of the drug bust for haron, now everybody thinks you are part of a haron operation.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Business Law
Expert:  CalAttorney2 replied 1 year ago.

Dear Customer,

I am sorry to learn of this situation.

These types of journalistic errors are most commonly dealt with by corrections in the paper or periodical itself. Write to the editorial board or editor (there will be contact information in the newspaper, or on the newspaper's website) and notify them of the error and request that they publish a correction.

If the paper refuses to withdraw or correct the error, you can consider filing a defamation (libel) claim against the publication for publishing this information. Alleging that an individual has committed a felony when you know or should have known that they did not, is "defamation per se" and you can recover damages (albeit these damages are usually not very large sums) and usually get a judgment requiring the paper to publish a retraction that matches or exceeds the publication of the original misstatement. These suits can usually be handled in small claims court, where you do not need an attorney to represent you.

Related Business Law Questions