Business Law

Ask a business lLawyer. Get business law questions answered ASAP.

I have a DBA with my ex husband. I want to get s name off of…

Customer Question
I have a DBA...

I have a DBA with my ex husband. I want to get his name off of the bank account. Do I need to file for another DBA, and what is that process?

Lawyer's Assistant: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?

The DBA has both of our names on it. How do I get his name off? Or can I go to the bank and open another account without hime being present?

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Business Law
1/30/2016
Business Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Attorney replied 2 years ago

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

Was the DBA divided in the divorce, since it is a marital asset?

but it doesn't state the DBA specifically, it just says the general business assets. He is willing to sign anything needed, I just don't know where to start
Thank you for your reply.
If it says business assets, then he merely needs to sign a document stating he resigns from the DBA and you can go to the bank and seek to remove him from the account as a DBA officer. You do not need to form a new DBA, you can simply remove him from the documents with his letter of resignation.