Business Law

Ask a business lLawyer. Get business law questions answered ASAP.

We are a non-profit club. Are there AZ rules governing

Customer Question
We are a non-profit club...
We are a non-profit club. Are there AZ rules governing non-profit clubs as to whether a quorum is required or majority of the membership?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Business Law
1/30/2016
Business Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Attorney replied 2 years ago
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
There are no specific rules only general, the law is that each non profit is supposed to have their own bylaws to govern what you are asking about as well as other procedures the organization will engage in. However, if your organization has neglected to do its own bylaws and has failed to define what a quorum is, then in order for a meeting to be held and validly vote on anything, you need to have a simple majority of your members present (if you had bylaws they could set a quorum less than that). So the general law is a quorum IS a simple majority of members, but bylaws can change that.