Business Law

Ask a business lLawyer. Get business law questions answered ASAP.

, Have an issue with a contractor.... He gave me a

Customer Question
Have an issue with...

Have an issue with a contractor.... He gave me a quote, I gave deposit for work, then started to do research and relaized he was way to high and wanted to get more quotes I stopped payment on the check of $1500 after he only did 1 hrs worth of work

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Business Law
1/29/2016
Business Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Attorney replied 2 years ago
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
What is your question about this issue?
Hi
Can you provide some info to my question?
He got a lawyer and they said I did a crime
I just wanted to cut ties with this guy because he was trying to rip me off
Hello?
Thank you for your reply. Please give us time to respond as we are all working with multiple customers and it takes a little time. Thank you for your patience.
I asked you what you specifically wanted to know because I did not see an actual question above. However, in cases of a civil contract dispute, when a party puts a stop payment on a check, this is considered self help and it is against the law. If you stopped the check he can pursue you for issuing bad checks and if you do not make good on that check he can file criminal charges in addition to suing for that money.
The proper way to resolve the dispute is you had to sue him for breach of contract for not performing any of the work agreed upon for the money paid and take him to small claims court to get a judgment against him for that breach of contract. So at this point, you need to contact his attorney and explain that he was in breach of contract for not performing as agreed and you would be willing to pay something for the hour he spent, but because he did not do the work he was not entitled to the full amount as he did not complete the job and if he continues to pursue this check issue for the full amount you would be forced to file a complaint with the contractor licensing board and suing him for breach of contract and that will cost him and you more money than they are seeking. Offer to make a reasonable payment to him to settle the matter.
IF they refuse, then you need to file suit against him as I said and you need to pay the $1500 in dispute into the registry of the court (the clerk will give you information) after you file the suit and serve him with a copy of he suit and summons. You do not want them to go to the DA and file bad check charges, so you are going to have to resolve it in the court.