Business Law

Ask a business lLawyer. Get business law questions answered ASAP.

I purchased a restaurant 4 yrs ago and have been hearing…

Customer Question
I purchased a restaurant 4...
I purchased a restaurant 4 yrs ago and have been hearing for all this time that was of the owners out of three, who did not want to sell, had been telling everyone that came in that they were just shutting the restaurant down. I had never considered a lawsuit, but just last weekend I had 2 separate groups tell me the same story. A loyal guest can be worth thousands of dollars a year. I shutter to think what the total damage has cost me. I know that slander has a short statute of limitation, but there must be some type of breech of contract.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Business Law
the restaurant is in Illinois
Answered in 1 hour by:
1/29/2016
Business Lawyer: P. Simmons, Attorney replied 2 years ago
P. Simmons, Attorney

Hello! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney with more than 18 years of experience. I am here to assist you with your questions. Please understand that if I ask you for additional information, you are NOT charged again and our communications are NOT timed. So please see this as a relaxed conversation between friends. I am here to help

Also, if you would like to chat on the phone, let me know and I can make that happen.

To prove breach of contract, you need to relate this to the contract...what you are describing I do not see that.

I want to make sure I understand...one of the old owners is saying what exactly to folks about you?

He was telling everyone that the restaurant was closing, while we were buying the business from him.

Thank you
When was the last time he said this? PRior to the sale? Or after the sale?

prior to and after.

Thanks

When was the most recent occurrence?

Considering a portion of the sale is considered good will, he set out to damage the business.

When was the most recent statement? Do you know?

I just had 2 groups of people tell me that they hadn't been back because they were told this.
Last weekend

Thanks

Experts on this site (myself) are compensated ONLY if the customer (yourself) "rate" or "accept" the answer. I am happy to provide an answer for you...but want to ensure you are willing to rate/accept the answer when we complete. Do you agree with this?

I ask as I see you have a history of not accepting answers