Business Law

Ask a business lLawyer. Get business law questions answered ASAP.

Can a New Jersey Corporation form an LLC in Florida while…

Customer Question
Can a New Jersey Corporation...
Can a New Jersey Corporation form an LLC in Florida while still incorporated in New Jersey?
Once in Florida does the NJ Inc have to be dissolved?
Thank you
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Business Law
1/28/2016
Business Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Attorney replied 2 years ago
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Yes, a NJ corporation can register as a foreign corporation/LLC doing business in FL. Once they have registered in FL they can dissolve the NJ LLC if they want or they can leave it open, the choice is up to the members of the LLC. They can have an LLC in both FL as a foreign LLC doing business in FL and also as a Domestic LLC in NJ if they want. If they do not want to keep the NJ LLC, then once they register the LLC as a foreign LLC doing business in FL, they can dissolve the NJ LLC and retain their FL LLC, this is called changing situs of the LLC.
The business entity in NJ is a corporation, not an LLC. Does this matter?
Thank you for your reply.
No, it is all the same, LLC or Corporation when it comes to this. The Corporation in NJ can register as foreign corporation in FL then the NJ corporation can close and wind up in NJ or stay open, your choice.