Business Law

Ask a business lLawyer. Get business law questions answered ASAP.

My name is ***** *****. My Corporation received a summon…

Customer Question
Hi roger. My name...

Hi roger. My name is ***** *****. My Corporation received a summon for a breach of contract ($10,000.00). I have to respond on January 29 but I dont have money to pay an attorney. Do I have to answer it first or file a motion to dismiss it?

Lawyer's Assistant: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?

On 11/25/15 I signed a contract to sale the assets of my restaurant, not the business, not the name, only the assets. The buyer will gets a new lease with the landlord. The buyer pay $10,000.00 as down payment and the closing day (01/05/16) she will pay the balance of $20.000.00. The down payment is not refundable. Only in the case I decided no continue with the process, I have to return the down payment, or if the buyer does not gets a new lease in the same condition that mine, or if any equipment is missed or destroyed.

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Business Law
1/27/2016
Business Lawyer: Roger, Attorney replied 2 years ago
Roger, Attorney

Hi - thanks for requesting me.

You can file a motion to dismiss before filing an answer....and if the motion to dismiss is denied, you would have time to answer the complaint afterwords.

However, since you have a corporation, you can't file anything on your own/individually......instead, you'd have to hire an attorney because a non-lawyer can't represent anyone other than him/herself. So, you'd be illegal practicing law if you were to file anything on behalf of the corporation.

So, you're really in a situation where you'd have to hire a lawyer to file anything on behalf of the corporation?