How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Roger Your Own Question
Roger, Attorney
Category: Business Law
Satisfied Customers: 31765
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters
Type Your Business Law Question Here...
Roger is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My name is ***** *****. My Corporation received a summon

Customer Question

Hi roger. My name is ***** *****. My Corporation received a summon for a breach of contract ($10,000.00). I have to respond on January 29 but I dont have money to pay an attorney. Do I have to answer it first or file a motion to dismiss it?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: On 11/25/15 I signed a contract to sale the assets of my restaurant, not the business, not the name, only the assets. The buyer will gets a new lease with the landlord. The buyer pay $10,000.00 as down payment and the closing day (01/05/16) she will pay the balance of $20.000.00. The down payment is not refundable. Only in the case I decided no continue with the process, I have to return the down payment, or if the buyer does not gets a new lease in the same condition that mine, or if any equipment is missed or destroyed.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Business Lawyers generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Business Law
Expert:  Roger replied 1 year ago.

Hi - thanks for requesting me.

You can file a motion to dismiss before filing an answer....and if the motion to dismiss is denied, you would have time to answer the complaint afterwords.

However, since you have a corporation, you can't file anything on your own/individually......instead, you'd have to hire an attorney because a non-lawyer can't represent anyone other than him/herself. So, you'd be illegal practicing law if you were to file anything on behalf of the corporation.

Expert:  Roger replied 1 year ago.

So, you're really in a situation where you'd have to hire a lawyer to file anything on behalf of the corporation?