Business Law

Ask a business lLawyer. Get business law questions answered ASAP.

Over 10 years ago I bought a motorcycle off ebay that was…

Customer Question
Bennett. Over...

Bennett. Over 10 years ago I bought a motorcycle off ebay that was salvage sale. I didn't intend at the time to restore it and never tried to register it because I was going to use it as a parts bike. Anyway I now want to restore it but have moved several times and no longer have the paperwork on it. how can I get a title for it in Louisiana

Lawyer's Assistant: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?

Like what. Naturally I have the vin numbers ect. but how do I go about geting a title for the bike.

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Business Law
1/27/2016
Business Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Attorney replied 2 years ago
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
In LA, before you can title it, you have to fully restore it first and then you have to have it inspected and apply for a title. Here are the instructions for applying for the title once you have restored the bike: http://web01.dps.louisiana.gov/Omv1.nsf/$print/886BB38B2FE4BCB6862564BA007262AD?OpenDocument
If you do not have any of the documentation that they request and cannot find the person who sold it to you to get the documentation, then you will have to file a suit in court to "quiet title" and send a notice to the last registered owner. Then the court would have to review the documents and issue an order that title can be issued to you as new owner of the rebuilt vehicle.