Business Law

Ask a business lLawyer. Get business law questions answered ASAP.

What actually makes a construction contract valid? If a

Customer Question
What actually makes a construction...
What actually makes a construction contract valid?If a contract has been provided by a contractor to a subcontractor, and the subcontractor signs it. However, that signed contract is then emailed back to the contractor and the printed out contract with the subcontractors signature is then modified on three separate occasions by the contractor and then emailed back to the subcontractor. And the subcontractor does not sign any of the modified contracts. Is this a valid contract according to the Florida laws?Also, what is the definition of copyright?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Business Law
1/26/2016
Business Lawyer: Asad Rahman, Attorney replied 2 years ago
Asad Rahman
Asad Rahman, Attorney

The key to the contract is a meeting of the minds. Did the Contractor change the terms? I'm not understanding what the modifying of signature means.

Per wikipedia, Copyright is a legal right created by the law of a country that grants the creator of an original work exclusive rights for its use and distribution. This is usually only for a limited time. The exclusive rights are not absolute but limited by limitations and exceptions to copyright law, including fair use.

Copyright is a form of intellectual property, applicable to certain forms of creative work.

It is essentially a creator of some work's right to ownership and to prevent others from using that work without a license or permission from the original creator.

The contractor did not modify the signature. The contractor revised the contract on 3 separte ocassions after it was signed by the sub. However, the sub never resigned the contract after those three modifications were made.
as far as copyright.
If i purchased books for a class and they are copyright books. Am i able to use them and then give them to someone else to use when i am done with them. I am not actually copying or reproducing the books.

Had the contractor signed the original agreement before the subcontractor?

Buying books is not a copyright violation nor is loaning them or gifting them. If you began selling them then you would need publisher or author permission.

No the contractor did not. The contractor signed the contract after the 3 modifications were made AND continued to shop for other subcontractors.

Without reviewing both contracts, there is a strong argument that there was not a valid contract as the Contractor made counteroffers and did not sign the original.