Business Law

Ask a business lLawyer. Get business law questions answered ASAP.

, i have a small business, a gas station and

Customer Question
I have a small...

I have a small business, a gas station and convenience store in Chula Vista California and Pepsi is charging me a 25% fee on our past due balance. their payment portal wasn't working and i tried to get help from them several times and they tried to reset my password ***** such and i even asked them to hold on the line while I confirmed it was working and after several minutes they said they had to go but that it would work and it didnt

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Business Law
1/26/2016
Business Lawyer: MDLaw, Attorney replied 2 years ago
MDLaw
MDLaw, Attorney

Hello and thank you for using the Just Answer website. I look forward to assisting you. What is your legal question , please? What information are you seeking?

is it legal for Pepsi to charge a 25% fee on outstanding invoice when we are less than 60 days past due.

Under CA law, there is no monetary cap on the service charge/late fee charged by a creditor to a business. However, the law does require that the amount charged be reasonably related to the actual damages caused by the creditor due to the customer's nonpayment. A CA court has in the past found that 18% is not excessive if the creditor can show that it is reasonable. In other words, it comes down to whether or not a court finds it reasonable. It appears that you are also concerned about the 60 days past due. That is a contractual matter and you will need to look to your contract to see what it says about when payment is considered past due. Often, a company will have 30 days or 60 days as being late. 30 days is more common.

Please let me know if this has answered your question.

is that 18% annual or 18% of outstanding balance?

The example I gave was an APR of 18%.

Has your question been answer or do you need any additional information from me. Please let me know. Thank you.