Business Law

Ask a business lLawyer. Get business law questions answered ASAP.

Can a judgment be vacated on judgment that involved personal…

Customer Question
Can a judgment be vacated...
Can a judgment be vacated on judgment that involved personal guarantee under a partnership, however, when the suit was filed, it was filed as a corporation. A lawyer think i could use Plea to Jurisdiction because you sign a personal guarantee under the partnership not in your corporate capacity.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Business Law
1/20/2016
Business Lawyer: CalAttorney2, Attorney replied 2 years ago
CalAttorney2
CalAttorney2, Attorney

Dear Customer,

It is possible to have a judgment vacated, but understand that this is a 2 part analysis.

The judgment is already entered against the defendant as named. So if you are fortunate enough to get the judgment set aside (claimed inadvertance, mistake, or excusable neglect in failing to respond to a "default judgment", or on appeal in the case of an entry of judgment), you then are forced to litigate the underlying issue.

Once you reach the second part (the underlying issue), you can address how the guarantee is identified, and whether or not it was properly named, etc. - but keep in mind, if the issue is simply that the plaintiff named the wrong party, they will likely simply file to amend their complaint and you will then be left defending the action on its merits.

If you have local legal counsel, I am certain that they have a strategy in mind to assist you, but the above is the framework that you have to work through.