How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Gerald, Esq Your Own Question
Gerald, Esq
Gerald, Esq, Lawyer
Category: Business Law
Satisfied Customers: 3999
Experience:  30 years of experience
Type Your Business Law Question Here...
Gerald, Esq is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I forgot to publish my starting business in the local papers

Customer Question

I forgot to publish my starting business in the local papers this past spring. Will that have an effect on my taxes?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Business Law
Expert:  Gerald, Esq replied 1 year ago.


Thank you for using Just Answer. I want to provide you the best service I can. Please feel free to ask any follow up questions you have.

I am an attorney with 30 years of experience; I hope to provide you information that will help you in resolving your question.

The newspaper issues is not controlling. The IRS does not care what type of records you keep so long as you can demonstrate your income and expenses. In regard to first year expenses, I assume you are referring to the provisions in the IRC that permit you to take a $5,000 business start up deduction in the first year of your business.

You are able to deduct up to $5,000 of your qualifying start-up costs (subject to first-year deduction phase-out when your expenses reach $50,000). For your tax return for the year the business commences you may deduct the lesser of:

  1. your actual expenses with respect to the new business; or
  2. $5,000, reduced by the amount by which the start-up expenditures with respect to the active trade or business exceed $50,000.

The remainder of your start-up expenditures is deducted prorated over the 180-month period beginning with the month in which the active trade or business begins.

As to proof that you started the business, the IRS does not care what type of records you keep. Advertising, Internet presence, incorporation, newspaper notices, or any evidence that shows you successfully started the business will do. You do not file this information, you keep it with your records in the event of audit.

Review these resources for more detailed information:

I hope the information I provide is useful to you. I want you to be comfortable and satisfied with my attempt to assist you. Please, if you have ANY follow up questions, feel free to ask. Please note that I am generally unavailable Friday evening through Sunday.

Please do not forget to give me a positive rating. It adds nothing to your costs but it helps me greatly. Thank you.

If you are dissatisfied with my response PLEASE let me know before giving me a negative review so that I may try to be of better assistance. Or if you prefer, let me know and I can “Opt Out” and your question can be re-posted without additional cost to you. I will be fair to you and only ask the same from you.

Good luck.

Please note: Information is educational and not given as legal advice. Only your local attorney can give legal advice. I can't establish or accept an attorney-client relationship with you. All posts are available for public viewing.