Business Law

Ask a Business Lawyer. Get Business Law Questions Answered ASAP.

Business Law

I've had an outstanding judgement against an individual

Customer Question
in Los Angeles, CA. court...
I've had an outstanding judgement against an individual in Los Angeles, CA. court for the past 6 years, yet are unable to collect. I believe he has a job and is no longer independent. With interest, the balance is over 10K now. What steps can I take to attempt to collect? How long until the judgement from Los Angeles court needs to be renewed?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Business Law
1/15/2016
Business Lawyer: MIAMILAW1127, Attorney replied 1 year ago
MIAMILAW1127
MIAMILAW1127, Attorney

Hello. Thank you for contacting me. I am a consultant here and I am looking forward to assisting you with your question. If at any point any of my answers aren’t clear please don’t hesitate to ask for clarification. Please be patient as I will be typing my responses to you from scratch. Also, I can only answer/address the questions you ask specifically based on the information your provide. Please try to provide as much information as possible so I can best assist you.

Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

This may seem like a stupid question, but have you tried garnishing the person's wages yet?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
How can I garnish his wages? I was able to see where he works via LinkedIn, but its a big company (CBS Universal). I couldn't get a hold of anyone in HR. He also does not own any real estate. He rents. My husband thinks he is judgement proof. What good is it if you win in court and the person still won't pay?

Well that type of situation is very common and a lot of times people will declare bankruptcy to strip the judgment.

However, if he has a job, you can go back to court and seek an income withholding/garnishment order where the court will order that a certain portion of his income be paid directly to you before he even gets it. This would be done by his employer.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
How can I confirm his employment? Am I allowed to inform them that there is a judgement? Can I contact his bank to get account balance?

Yes. You can call his employer to inquire as to his employment.

You cannot contact his bank to get his account balance.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Am I allowed to post that he has a judgement on his Linked In and Facebook pages, especially its a judgement from the L.A. Country Superior Court. Does it make it ok seeing its part of the public record? Am I allowed to call him. I read it would be harassment.

No. You cannot post that he has a judgment to his social media and you should not call him as that would be considered harassment.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I have his social security number. Can I take judgement to banks to find out if he has accounts there? If not, what options do I have to get paid? My last attempt would be to hire a collections company, but I'll be lucky if I end up with a third of what he owes and would rather avoid that at this stage.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Hello. Wondering if I will be getting a response to the question above? Please let me know.

No. You cannot take the judgment to banks to find out if he has accounts there.

Your options are limited to the following. You can either hand the judgment over to a collections company or you can try to garnish his wages.

MIAMILAW1127
MIAMILAW1127
MIAMILAW1127, Attorney