Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  All corporate law, including non-profits and charitable fraternal organizations.
10285032

I have a company that reverse engineer's auto body cosmetic

Customer Question

I have a company that reverse engineer's auto body cosmetic product's. Car spoilers, add on cosmetic items etc. We get a existing product that has no patent. We then remanufacture it using a higher quality plastic material and sell cheaper then original design company. The parts have no trademarks, no brand names, no serial numbers, no identifying marks. The company who designed a product we manufactured, they just purchased several of our products. After further research the name on the order is there "in house corporate counselor". They are a large company. The products are sold as my own branding. Is there any liability at all I should be worried about? Or are they going to try "scare tactics" to shut me down?
Category: Business Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
If they have no patent or copyright or trademark on the product it is not unlawful for you to manufacture your own version of the product. Now, in all creations they can argue that there is a common law copyright because their work is unique in some manner (if it is not unique and just something anyone could come up with it is not protected) and then they could argue you cannot copy their unique design. If the design has nothing unique, they legally cannot stop you. You will need your own company attorney though to respond to this to get them to cease.