How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Category: Business Law
Satisfied Customers: 118770
Experience:  All corporate law, including non-profits and charitable fraternal organizations.
Type Your Business Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Polly Bart. I am receiving demands from Verizon damage to

Customer Question

Customer: Polly Bart. I am receiving demands for payment from Verizon for alleged damage to someone else's property. I've never been there, and my company does not do the type of work described. Verizon customer service told me this would be investigated and if I didn't hear, that meant it had been resolved. I then received a demand from a collections agency and had the same conversation. The guy was so nice and apologetic and the claim is so clearly fraudulent that again I believed his statement that the matter had been resolved. Today I got a demand letter from an attorney in Oklahoma. I'll call the attorney and Verizon tomorrow, but I am wondering what I have to do to get this to go away. I have perfect credit and my business is award-winning. Not sure at what point this will damage that, though I don't think it has happened yet. No idea how to get Verizon to behave responsibly and legally in this matter.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Sure. What sort of details?
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Business Law Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: Do you think they can advise me on how to reach someone responsible at Verizon?
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Business Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
You need to send a letter to this attorney explaining they are pursuing the wrong party and as you have informed his client Verizon of this already if they continue to pursue you as the wrong party you will take them to court for damages and attorney's fees for you having to address their frivolous claims and will file a motion for sanctions for their willfully malicious prosecution of the claim against you when you have provided proof you are not the proper party.
If the attorney insists then on pursuing this, you have grounds to seek damages. Regardless of what the attorney tells you on the phone, send the letter to document you have put them on notice that they are pursuing the wrong person so if they continue you can sue and get sanctions and damages against them.