How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Category: Business Law
Satisfied Customers: 116707
Experience:  All corporate law, including non-profits and charitable fraternal organizations.
Type Your Business Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

What if I have a person working at my golf club that is

Customer Question

What if I have a person working for me at my golf club that is doing so as a trade out relationship? Thus putting in ones time for reduced or free golf? If he or she is injured while working wouldn't the club ownership be liable for this persons claim? Or could the club s owners be sued if a accident would occur?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Business Law
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

Good morning. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you.

Can you clarify the facts a bit for me? When you say a person is working for you at your golf club, are you an employee of the golf club? Who owns the club? What kind of entity is the club? Thanks!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am the General Manager of the club owned by the residents of the community. They want more rangers and starters on to help control play but I am very apprehensive about bartering for the position when I am not sure of the liability if they are NOT on payroll which leads to no workman's comp?
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

Good morning. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you.

Thanks for responding. I would need to do a bit of research on this and due to the holiday weekend I don't have sufficient time at the moment to devote to the research to insure I would be providing you a complete and accurate answer. Therefore, I am going to opt out to open your question up to all experts so another expert can hopefully timely provide you the information you seek. Please do not respond to this post as it will only slow the process of such an expert picking up your question. Take care.

Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Under the law, you have to pay the employees at least minimum wage, which is taxable income, plus time and one half minimum wage for overtime. I am sure you are aware of this. When bartering for employment, it is permissible to have an agreement with the employee that in exchange for the money that would be due for the hours worked you will provide them something of equal value in exchange. This means you need a written agreement specifying their hourly wage and approximate value of the services you will provide them in exchange for not paying them actual cash, to show that the value is approximately equal.
Furthermore, you will still have to pay unemployment tax and workers compensation on the employees and also withhold employment taxes for the value of their services.