How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Infolawyer Your Own Question
Infolawyer, Attorney
Category: Business Law
Satisfied Customers: 1767
Experience:  Experienced lawyer
Type Your Business Law Question Here...
Infolawyer is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I'm a US Citizen who owns properties back in my country

Customer Question

Hi, I'm a US Citizen who owns properties back in my country of origin. I want to sell my house back home and bring the $400,000.00 I expect to make from its sale to the US so I can pay off my US mortgage. Can you please advise what is the best way to transfer
such large sum of money to the US? What are the tax implications for such a transfer?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Business Law
Expert:  Michael Lykken, Esq replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am a licensed California attorney. Although you are in NY, I can answer this as it pertains to Federal tax law. For your first question, the best and most secure way to bring this money into the US is by wiring it to your US bank account from your foreign bank account. The exchange rates will determine what the foreign amount is converted to, but I would have the money wired. For the taxes, I can only provide general advice. You would have to recognize your gain in the property as a capital gain, but you would be able to deduct your basis in that property. It is basically treated like the sale of a US sourced piece of property. The IRS guidance is located here.