How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Loren Your Own Question
Loren, Attorney
Category: Business Law
Satisfied Customers: 34464
Experience:  30 years experience representing clients .
Type Your Business Law Question Here...
Loren is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

If you close your corporation and open a new one, can you

Customer Question

If you close your corporation and open a new one, can you keep the website and name on website from your old corp? I would start an LLC for my new business but want to keep the name from my old corp as I already have a website. Can I use the website? for example- old corp. is 'ABC'. Open new LLC with different name-- but want to keep ABC website and ABC name for business. Is that legal and ok taxwise?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Business Law
Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.

You can not do business in the name of a non-existent corporate entity. You would need to convey the website to the new entity before you close the old one and then adopt the name as a DBA of the new entity.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
can you please tell me that in simpler language
Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.

If your corporation does not exist then you can use its website and do business under its name unless you file for a DBA in the name of the old corp/website.

Otherwise, you are not maintaining the separate identity of both corporations and could lose the shield from personal liability.

Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.

Is that more clear?

Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.

Did you have further questions? Have I answered your question?

Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.

Are you still with me?