How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask socrateaser Your Own Question
socrateaser, Attorney
Category: Business Law
Satisfied Customers: 39019
Experience:  Retired (mostly)
Type Your Business Law Question Here...
socrateaser is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I own a small business. We did not sign a contract with a

Customer Question

I own a small business. We did not sign a contract with a longterm client because we could not agree on terms. This is a large client with hundreds of vendors. They want everyone to sign an amendment to the contract. If we sign the amendment does that mean we are bound by the contract we have not signed? They do not seem concerned that we have not signed the contract which was presented to us three years ago.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Business Law
Expert:  socrateaser replied 1 year ago.


An amended contract supersedes the original entirely. Consequently, depending upon the terms, you could be held to the contract you originally signed. However, if you already performed according to the original contract, then there would be no consideration for the prior performance with which to bind you to a new contract, and you could argue that the contract only applies from the date of signing.

To avoid a dispute, I would simply make the effective date of the amended contract, the date that you sign. That way, any discussion over what took place prior thereto would be moot/irrelevant.

I hope I've answered your question. Please let me know if you require further clarification. And, please provide a positive feedback rating for my answer -- otherwise, I receive nothing for my efforts in your behalf.

Thanks again for using Justanswer!