How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask CalAttorney2 Your Own Question
CalAttorney2, Attorney
Category: Business Law
Satisfied Customers: 10244
Experience:  I am a businesses law attorney, with experience advising and representing owners and investors.
Type Your Business Law Question Here...
CalAttorney2 is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I'm a company truck driver but the I was working taking

Customer Question

I'm a company truck driver but the I was working for was taking escrow out of my check like I was a owner operator. What can I do?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Business Law
Expert:  CalAttorney2 replied 1 year ago.

Start by working with your company's Human Resources Department to see if you can resolve the dispute informally/internally. (I recommend following up phone conversations or in person communications with "confirmation letters" - see my note below - to help build a record and to avoid confusion later).

If this does not work, contact a local labor law attorney as you will have a "wage and hour" claim and would be entitled to compensation.

You can find local attorneys using the State and local Bar Association directories, or private directories such as;; or (I personally find to be the most user friendly).

Confirmation letters: Keep written records of all communications - so if you speak to someone by phone, promptly send a follow up "confirmation letter" summarizing your conversation, who you spoke to, when, and any agreements you reached. Keep copies of your outgoing correspondence, as well as anything that you receive.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have quit the company and the company kepted 1500 dollar from my last pay check
Expert:  CalAttorney2 replied 1 year ago.

You can still try resolving it via letter (at least give it one shot) - you don't have to, but you can.

But given that you are no longer working for the company it may be easier to simply retain an attorney.

Alternatively, you can file a wage and hour claim with the department of labor here: (The DOL can investigate the matter for you and potentially pursue penalties against your former employer, but they will not be as engaged as your own attorney would be).