Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  All corporate law, including non-profits and charitable fraternal organizations.
10285032

A customer of my SAAS company split and are fighting over

Customer Question

A customer of my SAAS company split and are fighting over account ownership. I'd like to know who should get ownership.
Here are the sequence of events so far.
1. Bob from Company A is the original account owner as he was the person who signed up. Bob's credit card is used to pay the account every month.
2. Bob was a customer for many months and has called in and worked with my staff on all matters pertaining to Company A.
3. Bob contacts us using the email registered to his account requesting:
___________________________________________________________
"I need to have my business info updated on my account due to a new LLC being formed.
Company name: Company B
Address: XYZ
Phone: XYZ
Laura will be the point of contact on this account from here on out. "
____________________________________________________________
4. Bob also changes the payment credit card on file. The name on the new credit card is neither Bob or Laura.
5. Despite this change, Bob was still the person to call/contact my staff regarding the account. My staff assisted him because they are familiar with him.
6. Bob called and had the account name and details changed back to his name, under a new company name and had Laura's name removed as contact.
7. The following day, Laura calls because she cannot access her account. When she finds out that Bob disabled her login, she tells us he is no longer authorized to access the account.
Category: Business Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Whose names are ***** ***** the paperwork as members of the LLC, Bob or Laura or both?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
They are customers of ours. We do not know anything about their company and formation.
We offer a subscription based software which our customers access over the internet. The 2 parties involved in this dispute are both users of our software under the same "Account".
Both parties are trying to claim the data inside the account. We would like to know if there's anything from the legal perspective as to who the account owner should be.
Thank you for your reply.
Legally, if you have been paid by the company and both are members of the LLC, you have to tell them that you have to give both of them access until you receive some proof from a court as to who is entitled to ownership. You cannot make the determination as to which one owns the information or account, it is up to a court to decide, since if they were both owners of the company, you cannot make the decision. That is what you need to inform them, that until you get some court order or legal notice of ownership, you are allowing access to both authorized members. You need to stay out of their dispute.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Our terms of use/service agreement apply in this matter. If in our terms state that the person who can access the account is the person who has the email address on file. The problem is that we cannot not be involved in their dispute because Bob calls in to lock Laura out then Laura calls in to get access and lock Bob out. We don't know what to do because both of them are authorized to contact us.
We have currently disabled the account until we get legal advice but both parties want access to access the account to get the data and delete it before the other person does.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Our terms of use/service agreement apply in this matter. Our terms state that the person who can access the account is the person who has an email address on file (both of them do). The problem is that we cannot not be involved in their dispute because Bob calls in to lock Laura out then Laura calls in to get access and lock Bob out. We don't know what to do because both of them are authorized to contact us.
Thank you for your reply.
Well, your terms of service say what I said, you have to give both of them access and you need to tell them if they keep locking one another out of the account you will lock the account down as you have until you get a legal determination from them through a court as to who has access.