Business Law

Ask a business lLawyer. Get business law questions answered ASAP.

This question is specific to California. I do lead

Customer Question
generation and would like to...
This question is specific to California. I do lead generation and would like to know what restrictions (if any) there are for attorneys in California to buy leads from me being generated from Internet videos and websites for example that address "Who should
you call when arrested for a DUI? And if it is prohibited to for example pay $50 per lead, is it permitted for me to rent my lead generation website on a monthly basis to an attorney? What is the relevant code section regarding these questions?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Business Law
10/31/2015
Business Lawyer: Michael Lykken, Esq,
 replied 2 years ago
Michael Lykken, Esq

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am a licensed California attorney. The relevant rule is Rule of Professional Conduct 1-320. Basically, a lawyer cannot share fees with non-lawyers, which includes referral fees. A lawyer is able to pay a fee to a referral service it is operated in accordance with the standards for Lawyer Referral Service. You can find Rule 1-320 here. You find the rules for a Lawyer Referral Service here. You could operate an advertising site in which the lawyer pays a monthly fee to be advertised, but there couldn't be any referral of potential clients.