Business Law

Ask a Business Lawyer. Get Business Law Questions Answered ASAP.

Business Law

I'm adapting a composer license agreement to give to a

Customer Question
musician who will be creating...
I'm adapting a composer license agreement to give to a musician who will be creating a few songs for our children's animation pilot and possibly for a correlated YouTube show. I want to be sure as a producer, that I will have full rights and ownership
to be able to use, sell, and distribute in any type of platform or for promotion. I am stuck at the difference between non-exclusive license and exclusive license. I'm wondering which gives the most rights and freedom of options to the producer? If we have
the exclusive license, does this limit us from selling to a distributor?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Business Law
10/23/2015
Business Lawyer: Dimitry K., Esq., Attorney replied 2 years ago

Thank you for your question. Please permit me to assist you with your concerns.

The most rights are given to the producer with a non-exclusive license. That is because this type of license can be granted to multiple parties. An exclusive license means that you are not able to grant the same rights to someone else, while a non-exclusive license can be granted to multiple entities for the same subject matter. Now, an exclusive license does not bar a transfer of other benefits, but if you are seeking the most freedom and flexibility, and you are the one who is seeking the ability to potentially transfer rights later to a third party, non-exclusivity is best.

Sincerely,

Dimitry, Esq.

Dimitry K., Esq., Attorney