Business Law

Ask a Business Lawyer. Get Business Law Questions Answered ASAP.

Business Law

A little desperate. Sole proprietor. Garnishment looming. I

Customer Question
am also in foreclosure. I...
A little desperate. Sole proprietor. Garnishment looming. I am also in foreclosure. I am a widow. 72
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Business Law
10/22/2015
Business Lawyer: CalAttorney2, Attorney replied 2 years ago
CalAttorney2
CalAttorney2, Attorney

Dear Customer,

I am sorry to learn of this situation. Unfortunately you haven't given me much to provide you with an actual answer on (we can provide "general legal information" regarding specific questions or legal problems, but general financial distress is a more difficult matter).

I can tell you that clients in this kind of trouble are usually best served by a bankruptcy attorney. Even if you end up not needing to file for bankruptcy protection, a bankruptcy or insolvency attorney is going to be best positioned to guide you and advise you on the best possible recourse to help extricate you from your financial situation (as well as giving you the best leverage in negotiating with your multiple creditors - having a bankruptcy attorney call always puts a bit of a "pause" on the line because a creditor is not going to want to push too hard because if they force you into a bankruptcy they have a very real chance of winding up with nothing.

You likely have at least some assets or income which will be deemed "exempt" (see: http://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia/florida-bankruptcy-exemptions-property-assets-bankruptcy.html), so even if you end up getting multiple judgments against you, or going to bankruptcy, you will not have to start over "with nothing."

You can find local bankruptcy attorneys using the State and local Bar Association directories, or private directories such as www.AVVO.com; www.FindLaw.com; or www.Martindale.com (I personally find www.AVVO.com to be the most user friendly).

CalAttorney2
CalAttorney2
CalAttorney2, Attorney