Business Law

Ask a Business Lawyer. Get Business Law Questions Answered ASAP.

Business Law

I am a general contractor looking work authorization

Customer Question
I am a general contractor...
I am a general contractor looking for a work authorization for insurance restoration claims
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Business Law
10/18/2015
Business Lawyer: Richard - Bizlaw, Attorney replied 2 years ago
Richard - Bizlaw

Hello, my name is***** will try to help you. Please remember I just report or interpret the law, so the outcome may not be what you hoped for.

Could you explain what you mean by a work authorization and from whom do you need to get it?

From Home Owners, I am a general contractor in the state of GA and looking to get a work authorization in writing that will ensure me that the home owner will use my services for insurance relating claims.... fyi - customer calls me they have a flood caused by a clogged toilet... We fix the clog then we advise them that the additional damages caused by the water will be cover by the insurance company... we invest time in guiding the customer with insurance procedures (Providing expert advise, estimates, overseeing the mitigation company) and then when its time for reconstruction they want to use a friend or some one else fro the work after we have spend so much time in dealing and settling the claim with the insurance company. and we are left with $0... I will explain in more detail if needed but I guess you will understand my point.I am looking for a legal form that the customer can sign... I have found some templates online but I want to make sure its all legal before I start to have customers sign it, so that it will be fully enforceable as well as it should have a clause for liquidating damages and / or penalties, etc....

The way to handle this problem is to have them sign an agreement that covers the actual work that you do. Then as part of that agreement you offer them the additional services. Those services have a price attached to them. Under the terms of the agreement if you are retained to do the remediation work then you will recover the additional services as part of the insurance work with no sepate charge. If they do not use your services, they owe you the cost of the additional services. This assures you get paid for your time and they still have the option to chose someone else for the remediation. It is a less coercive approach and you will probably get all the work because the customer does not want to incur the out of pocket expense.

If I have answered all your questions, please positively rate my answer as that is how I receive credit. If you have more questions, please let me know. If my answer was particularly helpful you can pay a bonus.

Can you provide a detail example please

Let's say you have to repair flood damage. From what you see you expect potential mold and other problems that are not visible. You tell the customer that you can verify the extent of the damage but opening selected parts of the wall, it will cost $500 to inspect and repair the wall. However, if what you find confirms your suspicions and he or his insurance company agrees to do the remedial work, in lieu of the $500 payment you will include it in the repair work that will be required. That would be the approach.

is there a lawyer that you can recommend that is knowledgeable about home owners insurance claims? with all do respect, I don't think that you know how that industry works.

We cannot make specific recommendations of attorneys but you can find an attorney in your area on lawyers.com or findlaw.com where attorneys are listed by specialty and geographically. I am not familiar with insurance contractor retention policies in GA. However, in areas in which I do operate, the homeowner does not get full authority to select the contractor. My approach was designed to cover that eventuality.

If I have answered all your questions please positively rate my answer as that is how I get credit.

How can I get a refund.... I am basically back where I started. thanks

I do not know what you mean by being back where you started. You asked about getting an authorization for work. The approach I gave you gives you that and if you do not get the work you get paid. You can contact customer service to get a refund.

Richard - Bizlaw
Richard - Bizlaw
Richard - Bizlaw, Attorney