How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Richard - Bizlaw Your Own Question
Richard - Bizlaw
Richard - Bizlaw, Attorney
Category: Business Law
Satisfied Customers: 10602
Experience:  30 years of corporate, litigation and international law
Type Your Business Law Question Here...
Richard - Bizlaw is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

We are a health care practice with several practitioners who

Customer Question

We are a health care practice with several practitioners who are licensed in multiple states. Once of the health plans we contract with pays different rates in different states, and has asked us to provide a second Tax ID number for our double-licensed docs so their (health plans) claims payment systems can pay the correct amount depending on place of service. They apparently don't have the ability to distinguish if it is all billed under a single tax ID.
Is there anything improper about such a practice. Would we have to have a separate DBA for each, would we have to establish a separate entity for each?
Thank you.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Business Law
Expert:  Richard - Bizlaw replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I will try to help you. Please remember I just report or interpret the law, so the outcome may not be what you hoped for.

I assume your doctors with multi-state licenses practice in each of the sates in which they are licensed and are paid according to the state in which they see the patient. the simplest solution may be to have each of the practitioners create a single member LLC for all but one of the state states in which they operate. They can bill in their own name under their Tax ID (SS#) in one state and through the LLC which can have its own tax ID # ***** from the professional's SS#. This will add cost for forming the LLCs and the annual fees in each state but it will solve your billing problem. Since they are single member LLCs the income and expenses are put on the individual's tax return under Schedule C so you do not have to file a separate tax return for each LLC.

If I have answered all your questions, please positively rate my answer as that is how I receive credit. If you have more questions, please let me know. If the answer was especially helpful you can provide a bonus.

Expert:  Richard - Bizlaw replied 1 year ago.

The concern I have about not using an LLC and just getting a tax ID number as a sole proprietor, is I am not sure you can use two IDs number for the same business. That is why I suggested the LLC.