Business Law

Ask a Business Lawyer. Get Business Law Questions Answered ASAP.

Business Law

I work CPA firm in Calif. We have a new client who owns two

Customer Question
I work for a CPA...
I work for a CPA firm in Calif. We have a new client who owns two companies, one in Georgia and one in Hong Kong. We are now the quarterback for the owner hiring consultants and firms for work. The owner wants a new accounting firm in Hong Kong. We found a US national firm with an affiliate in HK. The affiliate is willing to do the work. We are asking the HK firm to sign a non solicitation agreement towards the Georgia company. The Georgia company will move to Calif. next year. I know non solicitation agreements are generally unenforceable in Calif. However I at least want to put the HK firm on notice. Is it worth our time to draw up the agreement and have them sign it?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Business Law
10/8/2015
Business Lawyer: Attorney2020, Attorney replied 2 years ago
Attorney2020
Attorney2020, Attorney

Yes, non-solicitation agreements are enforceable in California as long as they are reasonable. An agreement stating that the HK firm cannot directly solicit this company by using any trade secret information would be enforceable. Now if the client chose to go with this HK firm exclusively without any solicitation, that would not violate any non-solicitation agreement.

Here is an article that would place things in perspective and provide certain language that would comply with CA law as it relates to non-solicitation agreements.

https://hr.blr.com/HR-news/Staffing-Training/Employment-Contracts/Nonsoliciation-agreements-enforceable-California

It would be better to present this agreement to the company and have them sign it to at least place them on notice. I hope that helped. Please ask any follow-up questions. Please rate my answer so that I may ne credited for my time. Thank you.

I hope that helped. Please ask any follow-up questions. Please rate my answer so that may be credited for my time. I thank you in advance for your cooperation. Thank you.

Attorney2020
Attorney2020
Attorney2020, Attorney