Business Law

Ask a Business Lawyer. Get Business Law Questions Answered ASAP.

Business Law

I'm a small business owner operating both online and in our

Customer Question
Hello, I'm a small business owner...
I'm a small business owner operating both online and in our brick and mortar location. We had a customer issue a chargeback with the reason being fraud. While the name on the transaction was new the address was not it belonged to a customer who had purchased many times with us. This address was verified as the billing address both by mastercard and through paypal. We shipped the goods to the billing address using usps priority mail. Tracking stated the package was delivered to a person not a mailbox. We responded to the chargeback with these facts. Shortly after we found out the customer was posting pictures in the clothing from the order and that they had done this to other companies we work with closely. The chargeback was settled in the customer's favor. This person is committing theft and fraud against multiple small businesses. If I cannot appeal the chargeback can I open a criminal report into her fraud? Thank you for your time.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Business Law
10/2/2015
Business Lawyer: LawTalk, Attorney replied 2 years ago
LawTalk, Attorney

Good afternoon,

I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry to hear of your situation. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

Yes, not only can you file a formal criminal complaint for theft by fraud, you may also sue the customer personally in civil court for theft by fraud and seek not only your actual damages but also Punitive Damages to punish this person for the fraud they perpetrated on you.

You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.

Please remember to rate my service to you so that I can be compensated for helping you. Thank you in advance.

I wish you and yours the best in 2015,

Doug

LawTalk, Attorney