How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LawTalk Your Own Question
LawTalk, Attorney
Category: Business Law
Satisfied Customers: 37639
Experience:  I have 25 years experience in the practice of law.
Type Your Business Law Question Here...
LawTalk is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I'm a small business owner operating both online and in our

Customer Question

I'm a small business owner operating both online and in our brick and mortar location. We had a customer issue a chargeback with the reason being fraud. While the name on the transaction was new the address was not it belonged to a customer who had purchased many times with us. This address was verified as the billing address both by mastercard and through paypal. We shipped the goods to the billing address using usps priority mail. Tracking stated the package was delivered to a person not a mailbox. We responded to the chargeback with these facts. Shortly after we found out the customer was posting pictures in the clothing from the order and that they had done this to other companies we work with closely. The chargeback was settled in the customer's favor. This person is committing theft and fraud against multiple small businesses. If I cannot appeal the chargeback can I open a criminal report into her fraud? Thank you for your time.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Business Law
Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 year ago.

Good afternoon,

I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry to hear of your situation. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

Yes, not only can you file a formal criminal complaint for theft by fraud, you may also sue the customer personally in civil court for theft by fraud and seek not only your actual damages but also Punitive Damages to punish this person for the fraud they perpetrated on you.

You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.

Please remember to rate my service to you so that I can be compensated for helping you. Thank you in advance.

I wish you and yours the best in 2015,


Related Business Law Questions