How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Roger Your Own Question
Roger, Attorney
Category: Business Law
Satisfied Customers: 31731
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters
Type Your Business Law Question Here...
Roger is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Our previous HOA treasurer refuses to turn over 12 years

Customer Question

Our previous HOA treasurer refuses to turn over 12 years worth of records. What is our legal right and or course of action to obtain these records?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Business Law
Expert:  Roger replied 1 year ago.

Hi - my name is ***** ***** I'll be glad to assist.

If the HOA will not turn over the records, your only real option is to file a lawsuit against the HOA for an accounting and seek a court order from the judge directing the HOA to turn the records over. As long as you want the documentation for a legitimate reason, it should be something the court would make the HOA do.

The only restriction you may have is that HOA may not have records going back that far. Many entities only retain records for 5-7 years, so older records may not be available.

Related Business Law Questions