Business Law

Ask a Business Lawyer. Get Business Law Questions Answered ASAP.

Business Law

I run a 501(c)3 non-profit organization. I have a friend in

Hi - I run a...
Hi - I run a 501(c)3 non-profit organization. I have a friend in radio and we've discussed them running some PSA (public service announcements) about our charity, free of charge for our organization. In advance of preparing a full proposal, I'd like to check on this. We believe that the full $$ value of those spots can be a deductible charitable expense for the radio company because now that spot cannot be sold for it's full value. Just wanted to check and verify that this is true. If so, it would be nice to have a reference to IRS statute.
Thank you!
Anthony
Answered in 1 hour by:
9/20/2015
Attorney2020
Attorney2020, Attorney

Yes, in-kind donation to non-profits are acceptable under IRC 170(e). Here is a link to a treatise describing the treatment of in-kind donations: http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-tege/eotopice94.pdf

I hope that helped. Please ask any follow-up questions. Please rate my answer so that I may be credited for my time. I thank you in advance for your cooperation. Thank you.

Hello,Thank you for the link, that is helpful. But, I paid for an answer, not a link to a web-page. That article refers to a lot of situations that aren't us. In particular "This article will discuss in-kind contributions, particularly those which may
come within the enhanced deduction provisions in IRC 170(e)(3)"This link:
http://www.irs.gov/Businesses/Small-Businesses-&-Self-Employed/Internal-Revenue-Code-Sections-1"Allows C Corporations an enhanced deduction for qualified contributions of food inventory to qualified organizations."...and this wouldn't apply to radio/tv advertising, would it? I would appreciate to have the IRC 170 subsection that would apply to this situation.Thank you,Anthony

I'm unaware of any IRC code sections that applies to radio advertising. In-kind contributions are what they are and the analysis is not broken down into specific categories for each and every potential in-kind contribution.

Attorney2020
Attorney2020, Attorney
Attorney2020
Attorney2020
Attorney2020, Attorney