Business Law

Ask a business lLawyer. Get business law questions answered ASAP.

Please provide me with the State Statute from Texas re:

Customer Question
Mechanics Lines filed on a...
Please provide me with the State Statute from Texas re: Mechanics Lines filed on a home which has sold and is currently under Homestead Exemption? ?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Business Law
9/16/2015
Business Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Attorney replied 2 years ago

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

In Texas the person placing a mechanic's lien has 2 years from the date it was filed to file a suit to foreclose on the lien. After that time, the lien has expired. The Texas Property Code section 53.157 states failure by the lienholder to foreclose within the 2 year statute of limitations extinguishes that lien.