How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Irwin Law Your Own Question
Irwin Law
Irwin Law, Attorney
Category: Business Law
Satisfied Customers: 7305
Experience:  30+ yrs. representing small business, real estate, probate
Type Your Business Law Question Here...
Irwin Law is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am being listed in a suit against an LLC that I am a

Customer Question

I am being listed in a suit against an LLC that I am a partner in, being listed as a defendant personally. the contract was in the corporations name not mine as an independent
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Business Law
Expert:  Irwin Law replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for contacting Just Answer. Please complete your question and I will try to assist you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
how do i respond in the summons as I should not be listed jointly as an individual, the contract is between the business and the plaintiff, I was acting as a representative of the llc . I am trying to get a quick reply back to the complaint and when my attorney gets back from vacation on the 27th we are filing a breach of contract counter possibly, I may just muscle with the counter to get them to accept a reasonable solution that is acceptable to us. They are indeed in breach of the contract they signed.
Expert:  Irwin Law replied 1 year ago.

If you were just served and have 20 - 25 days to Answer the complaint, that gives you time until after October 1. That should be adequate time for your attorney to file a quick Motion To Extend the time to Answer the complaint, which are automatically granted. However, if you do not have that much time, then you should file the motion on your own, pro se, so that the other side cannot move for a default judgment either against you or the LLC. If the LLC has its own attorney then that attorney may represent you too in order to obtain an extension.

I hope that this information is helpful and that you will enter a positive rating. That is the only way I will be compensated for assisting you. Bonuses are appreciated too. I will be happy to answer follow-up questions which relate to this one. Also, since we are not acting as your attorney be sure to confirm our information with a local attorney. Thanks for choosing JUST ANSWER.

Related Business Law Questions