How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Category: Business Law
Satisfied Customers: 117358
Experience:  All corporate law, including non-profits and charitable fraternal organizations.
Type Your Business Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a question about a contractor not paying service as a

Customer Question

I have a question about a contractor not paying for my service as a subcontractor
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Business Law
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I took a job as a sub contractor to paint for a client. the total work order was for 5,350.00. The project manager caused many issues with requesting work that was not on the order, and was verbally a problem the whole time towards my employees even though i expressed to him he was not to talk to them. He caused one of my guys while i was not on sight to walk of the job and this was a very special employee. We finished the work order and there were a couple of minor things not completed and i stated that i would rather have these deducted rather than to continue to work with this project manager. They deducted 3900 for about 300 dollars worth of stuff.
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

You have a right to demand payment from the contractor and if they refuse, you would have to give notice for a mechanic's lien on the property. You would then have to sue the contractor in court to recover the money they owe you for your work. Here is the lien process, (see this link as it is too long to put here: If there is no lien agent because the project does not qualify, then you need to go to small claims court to file suit against the contractor.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The link does not work
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your reply

I apologize, we changed our system up and this new system they are making us use does not have links that work correctly, you need to copy and paste that into your browser, but it does work.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I googled and it worked. So my process is to apply for a lien on the property, which is a bank owned forclosure so I am not sure how well that will work. and then I need to file a claim in small claims. Is that civil court?
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your reply.

Yes, you would have to file for the lien and then file in small claims court, which is a division of the civil court.