How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask CalAttorney2 Your Own Question
CalAttorney2, Attorney
Category: Business Law
Satisfied Customers: 10244
Experience:  I am a businesses law attorney, with experience advising and representing owners and investors.
Type Your Business Law Question Here...
CalAttorney2 is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

If a judge issues a formal court ruling against a matter in

Customer Question

Hello. If a judge issues a formal court ruling against a matter in a case, can a party ever reattempt to obtain the same information that the judge ruled against?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Business Law
Expert:  CalAttorney2 replied 1 year ago.

It really depends on the precise nature of the ruling.

Evidentiary rulings are often made based on the way the party presented the exhibit, so for example, a defendant may try to introduce a document into evidence as part of a Motion for Summary Judgment, and the court will reject it because the defendant failed to lay an adequate "foundation" (didn't provide a declaration or other supporting evidence to show the document was authentic). It would be possible for the defendant to bring the same letter into evidence at trial, and have it be admitted if they properly authenticated it (for example, had a witness testify as to having received the letter).

So, it really depends on what the judge ruled on, but it is not uncommon for an exhibit that was precluded from evidence in an earlier part of the proceeding to be introduced later.

Related Business Law Questions