Irwin Law
Irwin Law, Attorney
Experience:  30+ yrs. representing small business, real estate, probate
18215332

If I change my business name can I still use the prior name

Customer Question

If I change my business name can I still use the prior name as a DBA? Example, I change my business name from Just Creative to Just Technical, can Just Creative be used as a DBA for Just Technical?
Category: Business Law
Expert:  Irwin Law replied 1 year ago.

In most states you can't use an assumed name as the person who is d/b/a for another assumed name. In other words if you are ***** ***** d/b/a Just Creative that's okay, but can't be Just Creative d/b/a Just Technical. Because there must be the name of a real person, firm or corporation behind an assumed name, not another fictitious name. You could be: ***** ***** d/b/a Just Technical, f/k/a Just Creative. It may be a little awkward, but it's legal. I hope this information is helpful.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't think I explained that correctly. Let's say I file an amendment that changes my company name from Just Creative to Just Technical. The legal name of my business is now Just Technical, but what happens to the Just Creative name? Can it still be used?
Expert:  Irwin Law replied 1 year ago.
it can. I am assuming that the d/b/a's are assumed names only and not LLCs or S-Corps. You can d/b/a as many names as you wish. The main point is that there is a real person disclosed as being behind that name.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Just Creative is a legal LLC but I am filing paperwork with my state to legally change the name to Just Technical LLC. Just Creative then becomes an assumed name.
Expert:  Irwin Law replied 1 year ago.
THat is correct. Be sure to check to see what you need to record with the county recorder where you do business which discloses the assumed name.
Expert:  Irwin Law replied 1 year ago.

I hope that this information is helpful and that you will enter a positive rating. That is the only way I will be compensated for assisting you. Bonuses are appreciated too. I will be happy to answer follow-up questions which relate to this one. Also, since we are not acting as your attorney be sure to confirm our information with a local attorney. Thanks for choosing JUST ANSWER.