How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Irwin Law Your Own Question
Irwin Law
Irwin Law, Attorney
Category: Business Law
Satisfied Customers: 7349
Experience:  30+ yrs. representing small business, real estate, probate
Type Your Business Law Question Here...
Irwin Law is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

If I change my business name can I still use the prior name

Customer Question

If I change my business name can I still use the prior name as a DBA? Example, I change my business name from Just Creative to Just Technical, can Just Creative be used as a DBA for Just Technical?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Business Law
Expert:  Irwin Law replied 1 year ago.

In most states you can't use an assumed name as the person who is d/b/a for another assumed name. In other words if you are ***** ***** d/b/a Just Creative that's okay, but can't be Just Creative d/b/a Just Technical. Because there must be the name of a real person, firm or corporation behind an assumed name, not another fictitious name. You could be: ***** ***** d/b/a Just Technical, f/k/a Just Creative. It may be a little awkward, but it's legal. I hope this information is helpful.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't think I explained that correctly. Let's say I file an amendment that changes my company name from Just Creative to Just Technical. The legal name of my business is now Just Technical, but what happens to the Just Creative name? Can it still be used?
Expert:  Irwin Law replied 1 year ago.
it can. I am assuming that the d/b/a's are assumed names only and not LLCs or S-Corps. You can d/b/a as many names as you wish. The main point is that there is a real person disclosed as being behind that name.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Just Creative is a legal LLC but I am filing paperwork with my state to legally change the name to Just Technical LLC. Just Creative then becomes an assumed name.
Expert:  Irwin Law replied 1 year ago.
THat is correct. Be sure to check to see what you need to record with the county recorder where you do business which discloses the assumed name.
Expert:  Irwin Law replied 1 year ago.

I hope that this information is helpful and that you will enter a positive rating. That is the only way I will be compensated for assisting you. Bonuses are appreciated too. I will be happy to answer follow-up questions which relate to this one. Also, since we are not acting as your attorney be sure to confirm our information with a local attorney. Thanks for choosing JUST ANSWER.