Thelawman2
Thelawman2, Attorney
Experience:  Attorney-at-Law
66887675

A licensed/insured contractor /A/ can remodel my kitchen. If

Customer Question

A licensed/insured contractor /A/ can remodel my kitchen. If he sub contracts some of the work to other licensed contractor/B/, am I protected if contractor B gets hurt on my job? In order for me to be protected from injury claims from contractor B : 1.Does
contractor A need workmen's comp insurance. 2. Does contractor B need insurance?
Category: Business Law
Expert:  Thelawman2 replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I will be helping you today. To be able to answer your question, I will need to know what state you are located in.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
California
Expert:  Thelawman2 replied 1 year ago.

Generally, even the contractor is not responsible for any injuries of a subcontractor in California, unless the contractor took affirmative steps which led to the injury of the subcontractor. Consequently, you would be generally protected from injury claims from the subcontractor. The only possible exception may be if you were to take affirmative steps which led to the injury of the subcontractor or if you were aware of dangers at a worksite and failed to notify the contractor/subcontractor. To absolutely protect yourself, you should ask the contractor whether he has received any insurance endorsements from the subcontractor.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
To absolutely protect yourself, you should ask the contractor whether he has received any insurance endorsements from the subcontractor."
Does the above mean bonded and/or insured sub-contractors?The main contractor is licensed and bonded. Does he also need insurance to protect me from work accidents; or, does bond cover that?
Expert:  Thelawman2 replied 1 year ago.

The bond does not protect you from accidents. The bond is used as a guaranty the work will comply with construction requirements. The insurance is what protects against accidents. However, you would generally not be liable for accidents that occur on the worksite unless you do something negligent yourself.