How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Samuel II Your Own Question
Samuel II
Samuel II, Attorney at Law
Category: Business Law
Satisfied Customers: 27011
Experience:  20 years of experience practicing law with diversified background.
Type Your Business Law Question Here...
Samuel II is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I know there is a grey area in which business can accept

Customer Question

I know there is a grey area in which business can accept drop offs per say but they are not child care centers or licensed. A place partents can drop off children short term for activites like art, exercise, or gymnastics, etc that are young and it is legal. These are facilities that are not child care centers or licensed but the law allows parents to drop children off and run errands or just pick them up when activity is done. There is a grey area in the child care licensing system I am trying to pinpoint where it is legal and what the rules intailed are as I see many playgrounds / kids gyms and art centers offering drop off options and I want to redirect my indoor playground concept into a style of exercise while playing and add a art center as well and want to be able to accept drop offs without being licensed but cant find the rules that follow not to get into the area of "child care" which requires a license in California. Do you know what rules for California are and how this can be done legally?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Business Law
Expert:  Samuel II replied 1 year ago.


This is Samuel and I will discuss this and provide you information in this regard.

Under the CA law "Child Care Center" or "Day Care Center" (or "center") means any child care facility of any capacity, other than a family child care home as defined in Section 102352f.(1), in which less than 24-hour per day nonmedical care and supervision are provided to children in a group setting.

If there is a "grey area" that you are looking for it comes in the exemption for family members as described in 102352. There would be no other exception if you are charging non family members to watch their children.

Please note that I can only provide information for what you ask. In that regard, if you have other questions or need clarification, please post them here. Otherwise, I appreciate your Positive Rating as that is how I get credit for my time and information.

If you received an invite to participate in a phone call, that is automatically generated by this site. I do not participate in phone calls offered by this site, but we can continue here.

Thank you