How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask CalAttorney2 Your Own Question
CalAttorney2, Attorney
Category: Business Law
Satisfied Customers: 10244
Experience:  I am a businesses law attorney, with experience advising and representing owners and investors.
Type Your Business Law Question Here...
CalAttorney2 is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My boyfriend and I started an LLC together earlier this year

Customer Question

My boyfriend and I started an LLC together earlier this year in South Carolina with both of our names on the Articles of Organization. A few days ago he verbally expressed his wish to leave the LLC as he has not been participating in the day to day operations and wants to pursue other interests.
What documents do I need for a permanent withdraw and what do I need to file with the SOS?
(We do not currently have an operating agreement in place.)
Thanks in advance!
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Business Law
Expert:  CalAttorney2 replied 1 year ago.

You will need to file this document: with the Secretary of State.

(The SC Secretary of State has a very helpful forms library here: Liability Companies - Domestic).

Regarding a formal dissolution for your organization, I really would encourage you to speak with a local attorney. An LLC without an operating agreement is only making fractional use of the benefits available to it, and you are stuck with the default rules for operating your business. In addition, you will want to have a brief document (it can be as short as a single paragraph) memorializing your boyfriend's withdrawal from the LLC as a member to maintain it in your business records.

You can find local business attorneys using the State and local Bar Association directories, or private directories such as;; or (I personally find to be the most user friendly).

Related Business Law Questions