How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Category: Business Law
Satisfied Customers: 116770
Experience:  All corporate law, including non-profits and charitable fraternal organizations.
Type Your Business Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

How can I get an out of state book publisher to pay me the

Customer Question

How can I get an out of state book publisher to pay me the money owed to me for breech of contract for a book I wrote and they continue to sell if I dont have money to pay for a lawyer
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Business Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Unfortunately, while many customers here wish for an answer that could somehow circumvent the legal process, I am afraid that if the publisher is in breach of contract and is not paying you, the only legal recourse is you have to sue them where they are located for your damages. You need to read your contract with them as well, make sure it does not mandate arbitration and also check to see if there is a clause in there stating that for breach the non-breaching party is entitled to attorney's fees.
If there is an arbitration clause, you cannot sue, you have to file for arbitration of the contract dispute.
As far as attorney's fees, if there is an attorney's fees clause you should be able to get a local attorney where the company is located, since that is where you have to sue them, to represent you for little or no up front costs and fees as they will be able to collect them as part of the judgment on your suit.

Related Business Law Questions