How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask CalAttorney2 Your Own Question
CalAttorney2, Attorney
Category: Business Law
Satisfied Customers: 10244
Experience:  I am a businesses law attorney, with experience advising and representing owners and investors.
Type Your Business Law Question Here...
CalAttorney2 is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Dealing with dish network, want to Close out my account

Customer Question

Dealing with dish network, want to Close out my account before the two-year obligation. I was told at the time of installation that it would be no problem and there would be no early termination fee. So far I will return the equipment, however they cannot show me a signed contract, or copy of. How can I beat the early termination fee??
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Business Law
Expert:  CalAttorney2 replied 2 years ago.

Without a written contract they cannot enforce a termination fee.

However, that doesn't mean they cannot make things more difficult for you (unfortunately this company, and others in the same industry, do not have a very good reputation when it comes to this sort of issue).

The Fair Debt Collections Act does give you some protection. You are entitled to a "Validation of Debt" (see section 809 of the FDCA: which requires the creditor to provide you with an itemized list of damages, as well as the documentation to support their claim (creditors without proper support will generally release their claim at this time).

For a more complete discussion of all of your rights under the Fair Debt Collection Act, and how to deal with this matter if the company persists past this stage, see this link:

For sample letters (and more information on your rights under the FDCA) see this site: