How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Legal Eagle Your Own Question
Legal Eagle
Legal Eagle, Attorney
Category: Business Law
Satisfied Customers: 396
Experience:  Serving business clients in private practice for 19 years.
Type Your Business Law Question Here...
Legal Eagle is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Question about personal liability registering a RIA-Firm

Customer Question

Question about personal liability registering a RIA-Firm (Registered Investment Advisor) as a partnership versus a corporation. Does the corporate shell protect owner's personal assets from liability claims, e.g. a client files a lawsuit to recover investment losses, or can it be pierced? In other words would a partnership with sufficient E&O insurance offer enough protection against personal liability? I'm interested in hearing your thoughts/comments.
Thanks in advance
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Business Law
Expert:  Legal Eagle replied 2 years ago.

A corporation or limited liability company would provide a level of liability protection for the business and your personal assets. However, as a licensed professional, you cannot avoid malpractice liability by using an corporate entity. The liability follows the licensed professional. This applies to doctors, lawyers, engineers, and licensed brokers. Your best best and protection is to have professional malpractice and an errors and omissions insurance policy. Pete.