Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  All corporate law, including non-profits and charitable fraternal organizations.
10285032

I have a web developer who was supposed to complete work

Customer Question

I have a web developer who was supposed to complete work back in 2014, 6 week project, it is now 2015 after 11 months and changes he is finished. There is no guarantee the website works. I owe him 2500 but it is long overdue. Orinigal contact stated 6 weeks and was never re newed. Can he sue me?
Category: Business Law
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
To clarifiy, this developer never listened to me and was using a outside source in India to do the website but charged me for work done in USA. Contact shows to be completed and running Nov 2014. It is now Aug 2015. He claims it is done but never answered my questions on functionality.
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
You have the right to dispute the charges and costs if the work was supposed to be done in the US. You also do not have to pay him if he does not deliver a working site.
However, if you did not send him notice he was in breach back when the project became delinquent and you allowed him to continue to work on this for 11 months without ever telling him to stop working, then you tacitly agreed to allow the project to continue. If the website works, then he could sue you for the costs if he completed the contract and it is a working site.
So you need to negotiate this with your developer, since you never cancelled the contract when he was delinquent and not performing and allowed him to continue. Since he used Indian programmers and he was supposed to do the work in the US you can negotiate the costs and final payment due on the site if he delivers a guaranteed working site as he was supposed to do.