Damien Bosco
Damien Bosco, Attorney
Experience:  Helping you with your legal questions.
68302747

My employer wants to fire me former employee accused me of

Customer Question

my employer wants to fire me for a former employee accused me of harasment
Category: Business Law
Expert:  Damien Bosco replied 2 years ago.
Hello and Welcome! My name is***** am a licensed attorney. I have assisted hundreds of others with their legal questions. I am happy to help you!
Unless you have a contract or are in a union, an employer can lay off or fire someone at will. However, if they fire you, they would have to have a justifiable reason, because if you are fired, then you would not get unemployment insurance. They would have to show that they fired you with cause. Therefore, the employer should conduct a thorough investigation. If this ends up a he said, she said, and the employer takes the other side, and your are fired, then you would look to another reason why you are being let go for discrimination purposes: race, creed,religion, etc. If the co-worker is lying, and slandered or libeled you, you could bring a claim against the co-worker.