Attorney2020
Attorney2020, Attorney
Experience:  I am a practicing attorney. I have experience in business law, bankruptcy, real estate law and estates.
63724254

I was involved in a Non-Profit- Volunteer Organization - When

Customer Question

I was involved in a Non-Profit- Volunteer Organization - When I agreed to the position of Treasurer for the 2015-2016 year; I realized that the NPO was in serious default with the IRS and in jeaporady of losing its NPO. I quickly went to work and spent hundreds of hours reconciling bank statements and categorizing expenses into Quickbooks.
With the financial data- I had to call into account people on the Board that were misusing funds, and had to call the former Treasurer, (who manages the Bank Account where our NPO holds its' accounts), former Presidents into conversations- The recent former Treasurer, HAD NEVER fulfilled her duties as Treasurer and a result caused our organization to be accountable to $15k in late filing fees from the IRS- (she is still sitting on the Board.) These people were offended that I had to verify information from them in order to secure transparency and file our late taxes. They are all 'buddies.'
After spending hundreds of hours, and sleepless nights to get all of tehse business matters in line and file taxes asap- I was quickly called in by the President(Male) and voted off of the Board- WITH NO JUST CAUSE and NO opportunity to rebut.
The President has substantial influence over this Board and rumored horrible things about me. There were instances where our VP made disgusting comments to me that were sexual in nature, meant to intimidate me as a female. In confidence and in tears I spoke to our President about the comments made to myself by our VP- The President of our NPO stated to me 'every comment made to me was in strict confidence.' Only to find out later that he used the conversation- (he referred to as sexual harassment) against me in further rumors.
In short; the President of this NPO was offended that I had to represent membership and point out his IRS failings, defecit budget proposal and more. He then used his influence(with his buddies on the Board) to make untrue verbal rumors about me to have me removed from the Board.
I can't help but feel discriminated against- being female; but I also feel that his untrue comments about me has ruined my reputation; and can harm the opportunity to secure employment within the school district that we reside, and can indirectly hurt my children. Do I have a defamation case here? Or- Discrimination? (Last year I spearheaded efforts that raised over $26k, managed hundreds of volunteer opportunites, Public Relations- successful philanthropic events and MORE. )
Category: Business Law
Expert:  Attorney2020 replied 2 years ago.
Since you are not an employer of this organization, no discrimination case. As for defamation, it the comments do in fact cause economic harm and are proven to be untrue and the person knew them to be untrue, a defamation suit could be alleged. You could recover the emotional distress, financial losses and possibly punitive damages. You need to speak with a local plaintiff's defamation attorney that will consider taking the case on contingency as most plaintiff's law firms do.I hope that helped. Please ask any follow-up questions. Please rate my answer so that I may be credited for my time. I thank you in advance for your cooperation. Thank you.